The Astartes Rose

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Astartes Rose

Post by StosifJalin on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Astartes Rose

Description:
An arm-mounted device that can fire a piercing, adamantium, javelin-like bolt, with a 50 meter adamantium-alloy wire attached. The wire is constructed to support immense weight and electronicly connects the projectile to the user. When the projectile penetrates, the tip of the bolt peels backwards  in small strips, using micro-servos, and locks into place, securing firmly into the target. The Astartes can retract the slivers back into position at any time to retrieve the bolt.

Inside the device, powerful gears and motors rewind the wire. The rose sheath is powerful enough to lift the weight of two fully-equiped astartes (albeit, much more slowly  to avoid damage to the device.)

The locking-thorns can be deployed without firing the device, and can then be thrown or attached manually and used as a normal grappling treble-hook.

The Astartes Rose replaces the top plating of the user's forearm, for a secure attachment. The cowling is thinner and has less cerimite than the standard vembrances to make room. When dormant, the spike itself protrudes past the user's hand by 12 inches, and can be used as an improvised melee weapon in an emergency.

Stats and effects:
40-meter effective range
Acts as improvised melee weapon (with 1 level of felling, and unbalanced)
-2 armor to right arm
Acts as a mounted melee weapon and cannot mount another weapon to right arm
Cannot be fired as a ranged weapon to deal damage.

Lore:
The Astartes Rose was once used by an elite squad of the Emperor's first legion of space marines during the great war on Holy Terra. This squad consisted of tactical geniuses, even among other space marines. They saw the utility and merit a device such as the Rose could bring a kill-team, and so they were all equiped with them. During the Great Crusade, the elite squad was dispanded and the designs for the rose was lost.

During a recent mission in which a treasure-trove of ancient weapons and scrolls were delivered to the inquisition, the designs for the rose were found. Due to the complexity of the device, the inquisition is cautious to deliver the blueprints to mars for mass-production, and have instead, trusted a copy of them to me, Anox Akronus to test out a unique prototype. The tool must be master-crafted by our own forge-master Brother Galmech, who's aid I call upon in its construction.

Last edited by StosifJalin on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
StosifJalin
Authorized: Ordo Xenos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Astartes Rose

Post by Scondoro on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:03 pm

A few initial things I'll make comments on:

1. This would ask me to really strain my relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus. If we (or I) ever came into contact with them and I was asked about it, I would not hesitate to disclose everything to them about it. Keeping a previously undiscovered STC (Standard Template Construct) from the AdMech is a baaaad thing.
  2. Felling?! Not even power axes or power swords have Felling, and those are the wargear of space marine leaders and heroes.

Aaaside from that, yes, I can help with that. But my handiness is poor compared to that of PyWright (baaaaad AG), so it would be a better thing to have him craft it with my oversight and guidance.
Scondoro
Officio Administratum
Officio Administratum

Character sheet
Renown: Famed
Characteristics:
CharacteristicsWSBSSTAGINTPERWPFEL
Value404485633763374237

View user profile http://deathwatch.freeclanforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StosifJalin on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:21 pm

I didn't intend it to be like the inquisition was keeping a big secret from the Adeptus Mechanicus, just that they kind of wanted us to make one to test out in our elite chapter, and the Adeptus Mechanicus just don't pay it much mind (like they have more important designs to consider.) I can change the lore to fit that.

Well, I read the description of felling, and the first few words were "puncture" and "mangle" from the inside, which is exactly how a Rose of the Astartes would behave. I tried to balance it out by treating it as improvised weapon. If I added unwieldy (can't parry with it) instead of unbalanced, would that even it out? I don't really intend to trade in my chain sword in favor of Assassin's-creeding xenos, I just thought it would be a fun RP element.
StosifJalin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top